martedì 11 luglio 2017

Audrey For Ever

Do you remember that quote from Woody Allen’s Manhattan?
A friend of Isaac, the main character, told him, as a reproach: You think you’re God…
And Isaac, seraphic, replies: Well, I gotta model myself after someone!
When I think about Audrey Hepburn, I always think about that quote, because I’ve always tried to model myself after her.
I think it’s useless to make here the list of her good qualities: a very talented actress but also an exquisite human being and an unrivalled example of elegance and class.
She is like the most adorable person ever and I certainly adore her.
When I found out that in Morges, Switzerland, there was an exhibition called “Audrey Hepburn & Hubert De Givenchy, Une élégante amitié” and that, completely by chance, I was in Geneva visiting a friend while it was still going on, mon coeur a fait BOUM!

Givenchy and Audrey met in 1952 in Paris. 
When Hubert was informed that a certain actress called Hepburn was about to arrive at his atelier, he was expecting to see Katherine, but to his great surprise he saw this tiny, thin girl going towards him. And the rest is history.
Givenchy and Hepburn not only created together some of the most iconic dresses of the cinema history, but they also had a life-long friendship (Givenchy is 90 and still alive, Audrey sadly left us quite young, at 63, in 1993).
Hepburn spent the last 30 years of her existence in Switzerland, in a house called La Paisible, outside a little village called Tolochenaz, just 5 minutes by car from Morges, where she got married for the second time (the first was with American actor Mel Ferrer back in 1954) to the Italian psychiatrist Andrea Dotti in 1969: 

The city of Morges hosts the exhibition in three different places: the Château de Morges, the Expo Fondation Bolle and the Musée Alexis-Forel (all of them at a walkable distance).
My favourite one has been by far the one in the Morges Castle, because it was there that the dresses from the '50s and '60s were displayed.
When I entered into the room I was so excited that my friends thought I was about to have a heart attack! But hey, how could you stay unperturbed in front of dresses you have dreamt about all your life? I simply couldn’t…

When I saw dresses and hats coming from Charade and Breakfast at Tiffany’s, are just went nuts!
And this was Audrey's chair on the fiming of the movie:


Of course, there were many interesting things also on the other two locations:
We also bumped into the place where the marriage between Audrey Hepburn and Andrea Dotti was celebrated:
Being a total Audrey’s day, we also decided to visit the little cemetery of Tolochenaz, where Audrey has been buried in 1993.
Just outside the village, this was a small and simple country cemetery: the most enchanting place to rest in peace and the most suitable one for Audrey:

What a lovely day. I was so happy that I wanted to bring with me as a souvenir the poster of the exhibition. To paraphrase another Allen’s movie: Take Audrey and run!
I would like to thank Denis, Laura and Laure for bringing me there and staying with me in this wonderful day. It was really unforgettable, dear friends!

0 commenti:

Posta un commento

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...